Many parasites are barely visible to the naked eye. Despite their miniscule size, fleas, ticks, intestinal worms, mites and other parasites can cause severe problems for you and your cherished pet. The good news is with regular and proper medication, your loyal companion will have a strong defense against these parasites. Call us at 905-257-3700 to learn more about how we can help.
How can I prevent my pet from getting parasites?
A combination of actions is the best approach. First, your pet must be on year-round prevention medication to maintain their resistance against parasites. There are different types of formulas available (topical, oral, etc.) along with varying dosing schedules. We can help decide which ones will be best for your pet’s unique situation. Regular veterinary exams (at least once per year) are also key, so we can detect any other health issues, including a parasitic infection.
How do I know if my pet has parasites?
Keep in mind that there are instances where your pet may show no symptoms at all. For example, if your pet has a small number of worms, or if they are at the early stages of infection – there are virtually no signs. They will only start to act and look different once the condition has advanced. This is why regular exams and checkups are so important. Some symptoms you can watch out for are:
- Dry, inflamed skin
- Visible growths/sores on the skin
- Persistent cough
- Laboured breathing
- Dramatic weight loss
- Discharge from their ears
- Dragging of their rear
- Excessive licking and scratching
- Visible worms in their stool